Thursday, February 18, 2010

Dublin


Since I was reminded today that I've been to Dublin by my lower pay check, I figured I should finally write about it. Even though the airline doesn't charge us, there are still fees at international airports that they don't take care of for us. Hence, my Dublin trip was paid for by a $49 deduction from my check.

Dublin was great. It wasn't real warm but it stayed dry for the most part, we stayed at a hotel that was extremely convenient to everything and I discovered a new favorite drink. Old cities tend to be more walkable with everything closer together and that was the case in Dublin. I think all the sights we saw were within a 15 minute walk of the center of the city. In another trip I would love to see the countryside but with just two days, staying in the city was really the only option. Another cool thing I did was take a tour of the old Jameson distillery. It's not where they make their whiskey any more but it was from the late 1700s until the 1970s when they built a new modern facility further south. It was really interesting and I had a free sample at the end. There was talk about what people mix their Jameson with and even though mixing it with anything was greatly frowned upon a few years back, it's been gaining acceptance. The tour guide said her favorite (mixing it with ginger ale) is popular in Britain so I gave it a shot and loved it. I guess that will be my St. Patrick's Day drink at the local Irish pub.

Here are a few pics and you can find the rest of the gallery here.

Note the date and place on the memorial from the church. Pretty sad to think that the situation remains in some ways the same.


No comments: