Friday, August 8, 2008

2008 Olympics

I guess it's been a while so I'll add something although there's not a whole lot to report. The Olympics opening ceremonies are on right now. I think the story of the flag bearer for the US is pretty cool. He's a Lost Boy of Sudan who became a U.S. citizen a few years ago. A middle distance runner named Lopez Lomong who escaped from the violence in Sudan to come to America. There is a documentary called Lost Boys of Sudan which is well worth a watch. Here's the link to the wikipedia article about it. Check it out. In addition to his history as a refugee, there is a lot of political overtones in his selection. I believe it's a vote by the entire team that decides who will carry the flag in the opening ceremonies but I'm not positive about that. Just checked, yup, the U.S. team voted to have Lopez carry the flag for them.

Of course, I'll be cheering for the U.S. basketball team as Chris Paul is playing but it really bites that I have to cheer for Kobe too. Grr...

No comments: