Monday, July 28, 2008

Gas Free Commute

I joined the ranks of bicycle commuters today! It was good but harder than I thought. This morning went pretty well. It's about 10.5 miles each way which I don't think is too bad but one thing that I hadn't thought about was my heavy backpack with shower stuff and work clothes. I'm on a trail for about 6 miles which is great. I think I could shave off a little distance by doing more road and less trail but the trail is great and I don't want to miss it. The ride home was definitely harder than this morning with more traffic and the temperature way hotter. In addition, I forgot my lock which meant that my biking clothes sat in my backpack all day rather than hang in a locker which made for (sorry to gross you out) some damp attire this evening.

A friend and I had talked about running some evenings and last night she asked if tonight would be one night we could do that. I thought it might be a possibility but by the time I got home it was time for dinner instead. Very tasty Mexican though with a great friend. Yum.

So my initial thoughts of commuting by bike every day I think are down the tubes for now. For one, I still want to do some running and two, as it is I'm going to have to quit my favorite Spin class at the YWCA in a few weeks when my membership ends there so I think tomorrow I'll take advantage of that in the am and try to run tomorrow night. I'll shoot for Wednesday as the next commuting day.

Oh, life is good... Twins just beat the White Sox! Dangit, why does Obama have to be a Sox fan... Yuck! It definitely is a strike against him. However, Diamondbacks, who cares about them other than McCain? I guess there is no winning situation in Presidential baseball.

Another sign that life is good. I had to catch my breath with excitement today when I saw as I was filling up my gas tank that it's only $3.599! Nice! Still expensive so I'd better keep on pedaling when possible.

No comments: