Sunday, July 13, 2008

Politics

Ok, I've steered clear of politics so far but here's a few thoughts. You might even be surprised.

I had to drive to Bemidji this weekend and I saw two old buses on the way that had U.S. Government plates. As I passed them, I noticed they were full of troops. I had no idea where they were going but along the way I saw a few signs on overpasses that were red, white and blue and said things like "Welcome Home". Putting two and two together I'm assuming that they were troops coming home, most likely from Iraq or possibly Afghanistan. It put me in a thankful, patriotic mood and I did a lot of thinking. Most know that overall I'm a peacenik but not in the most extreme sense. For one thing, I can't help it but I love planes of all sorts and that does include fighters. I suppose I shouldn't but who can help it when they are so cool. Secondly, a person can't help but be awed and inspired by soldiers and most importantly, grateful. Third, although America has a tendency (especially lately) to be a bit boneheaded and do stupid things, I also can't help but be awed by the U.S. as well, especially the Constitution. You have to admit that it has endured a lot and is a pretty amazing piece of work. So there is my little patriotic rambling on. Anybody that knows me knows that I can complain with the best of them about some of the actions of this country but it's only because I have such high expectations and want it to be its best.

On a COMPLETELY different note, there was an article about how MLB players think the rule about the All Star game winner getting World Series home field advantage is a crock and I totally agree. Yet another stupid think that Bud Selig has given us. Bogus.

This week is the Red Ribbon Ride which will be a blast. If you have a few extra bucks and want to donate it to a great cause, click on the Red Ribbon Ride link to the right. Thanks!

No comments: