Tuesday, September 8, 2009

10 Good Things About Atlanta

I went for a nice walk in Piedmont Park this evening after working out in the building's gym and was thinking how much I like this place so far so here are some things I like so far about Atlanta in no particular order. Keep in mind that this is from the perspective of somebody who's been in town approximately 10 days.

-It's so green. I thought Minneapolis was green and it really is, especially for the climate, but Atlanta has trees everywhere. You are on the middle of the freeway near downtown and can only see trees. This was unexpected because Minnesota usually ranks really high in park space but I haven't noticed Atlanta at the top of the list.

-Hills. Yes, these are both good and bad but I find a little terrain refreshing.

-Southern cooking. So far I've had sweet potato pancakes with pecans which were amazing and Chick-fil-A which was free yesterday for wearing a team shirt. Erika and I had Twins shirts on and thus were able to get free sandwiches for dinner. These same tshirts caused a discussion at the the diner in the morning regarding the 1991 World Series and the Kent Hrbek/Ron Gant episode. Funny.

-Piedmont Park and Chastain Park. Piedmont Park is very nice although small and located near Erika's apartment. Chastain Park is bigger but on the other side of town. When I look for my own place either area is definitely near the top of my list.

-Swings in the park. In addition to regular benches, there are swings at all the parks I've been at so far. By swings, I mean the big glider kind that you see on the front porch of the Walton's house. I've always been a fan of them.

-Sacred Heart. This is the Catholic church that I found. It's old and beautiful but casual and progressive. A great combination.

-Big Peach Running Company. A local running store that works hard to make sure the fit of shoes is right. My knees are still bad so I'm doing more walking than running but now I've got shoes that aren't falling apart.

-MLK memorial. This is one of the few touristy things I've done so far. The tomb of Dr, King and Coretta Scott King is especially impressive.

-Carter Center and Library. Shouldn't have this on the list as I still need to check it out but I've heard great things and hope to get there once it reopens after remodeling in October.

-Economy. Yes, the economy is bad everywhere but so far I've had more luck in the last week here than in the past several months in Minneapolis. I think that there is a more diverse set of industries so that helps. Minneapolis is strong but skewed towards some industries that I don't have experience or interest in.

Sorry. I know pictures would be nice and I'll get around to taking some of those soon. Maybe I'll get a few posted in the next few days...

Have a great evening!

No comments: