Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Atlanta

I made it to Atlanta. After a really long trip, Erika and I finally arrived at her place at 5 am. Uff da... She wasn't able to get to Minneapolis on Friday so she flew in Saturday am and after a quick stop at her favorite coffee shop we took off around 9 am. We made stops in Wisconsin Dells and had Culver's for lunch as well as KFC in Kentucky for dinner. Fast food but in their home locations at least. After about a 10 minute nap in Tennessee we did the last few hours. We did end up parked on 75 at one point because of an accident but other than that it went pretty smoothly.

So far I haven't done a ton. On Sunday I went to church at Sacred Heart which is the oldest Catholic church in Atlanta and I liked it. They are downtown and very committed to social justice and serving the city. I was hoping for a bit more diversity than I saw but I think it's better than a lot of churches. Sunday morning is the most segregated time in America according to a multiracial couple I know down here and I tend to agree. Very unfortunate.

Last night I went to a sports bar with another friend from Minnesota who moved down here a few weeks ago and saw part of the Vikings game. Not that I was keen on seeing the Vikings but it was a nice casual hangout and a good sandwich. Tonight it's another restaurant with Erika and another friend from Minnesota as it's restaurant week so nice places have really good deals.

No comments: