Friday, February 6, 2009

Running and Rosa Parks

No, those two things aren't related. Last night our running clinic started again. Last September/October I started the half marathon clinic to train as I hadn't ever done one before. Unfortunately I still haven't. My longest training run was about 11 or so miles but the weekend of the Frozen Half was definitely frozen and the half was cancelled. My friend and I decided to do the 5k instead as long as it wasn't going to be the 1/2 anyway. Now I'm training again in hopes of doing either the Fargo or Stillwater 1/2 or if I'm really good, maybe both. They are May 8th and May 24th respectively. It's getting warmer and with the exception of some days of watching your step, running is getting more fun every day.

I finally decided to rent Tropic Thunder and was planning on watching that tonight. I had done a happy hour spin class instead of getting up early for the gym so I'm just vegging tonight. Tomorrow I volunteer at Open Arms as I do every week and I think I might check out R.T. Rybak's mayoral re-election campaign kickoff as it's at the theater just two blocks up from me. I've never been involved in mayoral politics but I think R.T. has done a great job with the limited resources he has had and he's a very genuine guy who loves the city more than almost anything else I think which is a big component of his job.

Finally, to get to the Rosa Parks part of the story... I realized that The Rosa Parks Story is on TV and I couldn't bring myself to watch a comedy when civil rights history is on. It's pretty well done with excellent acting (Angela Bassett plays Rosa Parks) and the thing I like best about it is that it shows her as a civil rights activist throughout her life which is often forgotten. Refusing to give up her seat is one of the many things she did throughout her life to fight segregation and bigotry and it was far from the first time that she had done so. Here's another little known fact: A bus seat has room for two and only one white man needed a place. A black man had already stood up and Rosa Parks had slid over to accomodate him but it was demanded that he have the whole seat since it was unacceptable to have to sit on the same seat with a colored person. (using the language of the time) The movie also doesn't gloss over the fact that women were instrumental in making the Montgomery Bus Boycott but sexism prevented them from becoming known. JoAnn Robinson was a professor who organized students to print and distribute flyers to alert the community to the incident and the boycott and the movie mentions her if only briefly. One other last tidbit: Dexter King plays his father, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr and while he's not known for being an actor he is Dr. King's most handsome son.

No comments: