Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Upcoming Events

I've been on a registration bender lately and have signed up for lots of events. The first one is the Get in Gear Half Marathon on April 25. My friend Jen is doing that one with me but as I'm slow and she's fast, that just means that we'll see each other at the beginning and end. It's pretty cool because it's the first time Get in Gear has had a half marathon. They always have a 5k and 10k and the route is right by my house. It starts at Minnehaha Falls and then does a loop around the Mississippi. Since April can be questionable for weather (last year it snowed for Get in Gear), it will be interesting to see how it goes. For the most part I'm going to treat it as a training run for the Stillwater Half which is on May 24. The other event I signed up for isn't until September but it fills up so I figured I'd better get my registration in while it was cheaper. That one is the Irongirl which is a duathlon. It's a 2 mile run followed by a 22 mile bike ride followed by another 2 mile run. I know a lot of people that have done it in the past and have really enjoyed it. I've never done a tri or duo so it will be a new experience. I don't think I would ever do a tri anyway since that involves swimming. Yuck!
Most of my recent events have been due to my participation in the running club at The Running Room. It's a great group and the coach asked me to be a group leader for the back of the packers. Slow running while chatting with nice people, life can't get much better. We go running for 3 or 4 miles on Wednesday and Thursday evenings and do longer runs on Sundays. Our training program for half marathons just started a few weeks ago so our Sunday runs are still pretty short. We add a mile or so each week and our last long run was 6.25 miles on Sunday morning. Next week is 7. Sweet!
The only other registration I need to get done is for my volunteer activities during the summer, specifically the Red Ribbon Ride and probably the Breast Cancer Ride. The Red Ribbon Ride is near and dear to my heart and even though some of my friends are taking this year off, I'm pretty sure I'll take part in some capacity. The Breast Cancer Ride is newer and although the cause is not as dear to me, some pretty good friends work on it and as long as it's just a Saturday and Sunday event, I would guess that I will eventually sign up.
After all that talk of activity, I do have to fess up that I ate a lot of chocolate today in my effort to get it out of my system before I give it up for Lent tomorrow. Getting my love of chocolate out of my system, now that's funny. Not possible at all.
Ok, off to watch the Presidential Address to Congress...

1 comment:

Monday Came said...

I vote yes to you being on the Breast Cancer Ride!!! :)