Friday, January 16, 2009

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

A friend and I went to the MLK tribute last night which was really good. Sounds of Blackness did the music and Paul Rusesabagina spoke about his experiences in Rwanda. His story inspired Hotel Rwanda which is an excellent movie if you haven't seen it. In honor of the holiday, here are a few pictures from last year when I was en route from New Orleans to Minneapolis over the King weekend and stopped at the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, Tennessee. It is the Lorraine Motel where Dr. King was assassinated in 1968. Overall, a really good museum although there is a wing about the assassination which I don't like because I feel it doesn't honor King in any way but rather glorifies James Earl Ray and is a little too CSI style.






In other news, it's been COLD. They say it's been the coldest that it's been in five years but I feel like it's not that insane. I think that's due to the fact that I don't need to walk much and can stay home quite a bit. I have been going to the gym but on Wednesday I officially became one of those crazy people that goes for a run when it's below freezing. We had run club and our coach Cory ran with me and it wasn't half bad. We only did two miles because of the cold but it was definitely tolerable. Everybody looked a bit crazy when they came back with frozen eyelashes and such but overall, a good night. I'm still debating doing the Frozen Half Marathon next weekend and I probably won't decide until a day or two in advance based on the weather and other outside factors.

No comments: